This week Savemart has 5 ears corn for $1 limit 20 per person. So we snagged 20 for $4 plus we had some corn we had gotten from a friend. With 9 ears of corn we were like wow lots of corn! Time to can!
What you will need
Ears of corn (about 1 to 1 and a half per jar)
jars with seal-able lids
a bowl of ice water (and extra ice)
a pan to boil the corn in
a pan to boil water in for the jars
How to can
1. fill your pot you will be boiling the corn in with water and start boiling it
2.Shuck your corn getting off as much of the silk as you can
3. When the water has come to a boil put the corn in. Once it starts boiling again start your timer and boil it for four minutes.
4. prepare your ice bath by filling a big bowl with water and ice
5. once the corn is boiled put it into the ice bath
6. Let it soak for 3 to 4 minutes
7. While it is soaking sterilize your jars by boiling them, you can also run them in the dishwasher before you start the corn.
8. Start boiling water in a sauce pan
9. Remove the corn from the ice bath, and cut off the kernals, dont worry they break into individual kernals easily, just put them in a bowl and break them apart with your hands.
10. fill the jar losely with them leaving room for water, do not pack the corn down
11. Pour the boiling water into each jar of corn
12. put the lid on.
13. In a big pot bring water to boil
14. place jars in the water and let them sit in water for 5 minutes
15. remove from water, jars will pop as they seal
16. let cool in a few hours check if they are not sealed eat right away or re-boil to seal them.
Enjoy!! We ended up with 25 jars of corn, plus we all ate a bowel, and put some in a plastic container to use right away.