One of my favorite recipes is my Olive Garden Style breadsticks which calls for garlic salt, and I never have any, so I thought while Im dehydrating things why not make garlic salt! It came out yummy, and was easy to make.
What you need
- 1 Garlic bulb
- Salt (I used sea salt you can use table salt)
- Dehydrator, or your oven
- knife, or mandoline
- a food processor, Mortar and Pestle, or a rolling pin and zip lock bag
- a container to keep it in
1. Peel your garlic, then using a knife, or mandolin cut it into really thin slices, I highly suggest using a mandoline at its thinnest setting.
2. Lay the garlic out on your dehydrator tray. If you are using an oven lay it out on cookie sheet, and turn your oven onto 125-150 degrees, put in and cook with the door slightly open.
3. Allow to cook till the garlic is crisp, dry, and crumbles easily in your hands about 6 to 8 hours
4. Remove garlic and grind it using a food processor, mortar and pestle, or put into in a ziploc and roll over it will the rolling pin. Depending on what method you use will depend on how find you get it ground.
5. Add salt, you want three parts salt for every 1 part garlic. I then ground my salt with the garlic since it was sea salt and thicker.
6. You are done put it in a container to save and enjoy!
Now depending on your method of grinding it may be not as finely ground as a store bought container, but it will be cheaper and have less additives which is fabulous. I highly suggest investing in a mortar and pestle if you plan to do this often, I am planning to get one.