So as you know where playing with dehydrating, trying to save veggies, and fruit for this winter when prices but what to do with all those onions? We recently bought onions at the dollar store, a big bag, and I dont eat a ton of onions, my roommate likes the flavor but hates the texture so we dont use them often, and then it hit me onion powder! So I played around a bit and here is the results, a simply DIY for yall to make your own onion powder. I highly suggest trying this if you can get onions on sale, or if you have a 99 cent store since they have onions for $1 alot.
What you need
onions (how many will depend on how big your bottle is I used two and get about half a bottle)
Dehydrator, or your oven
Knife, or mandoline
Food processesor, mortar and pestle, or a zip lock bag and rolling pin
a container to keep it in
1. Peel the skin off the onion and clean it
2. cut the onion into really thin slices like 1/8 and inch if you have a mandoline use your thinest setting
3. arrange the onion slices in your dehydrator, or if you are using the oven set the oven at 125-150 degrees and put the onions in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Place in oven and leave the door open a crack.
5. Now crush the onions using the food processesor, mortar and pestle, or put them in a zip log and roll over them with a rolling pin. Do this until they are as fine a powder as you want.
6. Put the powder into a container and label.